Everything You Need to Know About the New Digital Nomad Passport in Spain

Do you work remotely? Then this post is directed at you. 

Are you a digital nomad? Then this is of interest to you.

Remote work is becoming more and more accepted in the working world, offering new flexibility and convenience to workers. With that, more and more people are looking to move abroad, and many are targeting Europe, Latin America and Asia. Among these countries is Spain, so if you’ve ever dreamed of moving here, now may be the time to do it.

As governments struggle to stay afloat and adapt to this new reality, politicians and leaders in Spain are working to put in place the ‘Spain Entrepreneurial Nation Strategy’ that includes a new visa aimed exclusively at digital nomads. 

What is Spain’s Entrepreneurial Situation? 

The Spanish government is working on a series of new laws and initiatives to promote entrepreneurship, attract foreign investment and retain and attract talented non-resident remote workers. 

This strategy is part of a 10-year strategic plan to foster and promote economic recovery after the terrible consequences caused by the COVID-19 crisis. The new strategy has not yet been fully approved by the Spanish Congress. At the moment it is at the stage of the public vote although its approval seems very likely.

It’s important to note that this visa is for non-EU workers who are working for non-Spanish companies. It’ll allow them to work legally with much more flexibility and with fewer legal restrictions while living within Spanish territory. 

Remote workers with an EU passport or those coming from a Schengen zone country can now stay and work in Spain for a stay not exceeding 6 months without the need to register.

Why Get this Visa? 

Getting a normal work visa in any country can be a long and overwhelming process, especially if the paperwork is done on short notice. There is usually a long list of requirements that you will need to meet in order to get the green light and start living in Spain. 

The Ministry of Labor in Spain usually requires you to have adequate accommodation, a return ticket to your home country, an employment contract with a Spanish company or some license to carry out your work. On the other hand, a tourist visa will allow you to enter Spain but will definitely not allow you to work or earn money legally while you are here.

For starters, this new visa will most likely require much less documentation. It is not yet clear exactly what documents the Ministry of Labor will require, but it will most likely ask for proof of sufficient funds, a valid passport, and an employment contract proving your employment relationship with a non-Spanish company. 

You’ll be able to work in the country legally, as long as you do so independently and remotely. Additionally, this visa is intended for workers who are looking to enjoy Spanish life and want to stay for a medium to long term. It is expected to last for one year with the possibility of extending for two more years.

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: . You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Latest Articles

Related Articles