Your Checklist for Moving to Spain with ELYS Relocations

If you’ve already made the decision to make the move to the Iberian country, make sure you’ve checked these essential requirements off your list: 


Did you know that the Iberian country is among the best countries to emigrate to in 2022? It is not for nothing that it has become the favourite destination for those looking for a lot of partying, an incredible educational offer and job opportunities. Surely you have these and a thousand other reasons to emigrate to Spain.

That is why, in this article, we’re going to tell you in detail all the benefits of living in Spain, and we will also explain which are the steps you should take to emigrate to Spain before arriving at this wonderful destination.

Large doses of sunshine, delicious tapas, and vibrant culture are just a few of the reasons to move to Spain. Ranking second in the world for overall quality of life, Spain attracts foreigners from all over the world, with an impressive 91% of foreigners satisfied with their leisure activities. 

Barcelona, Spain


As soon as you have decided to make the move, a thorough checklist for moving to Spain is imperative. Using Relocation Services is ideal because they are familiar with the important details.

There are many points to consider, schooling, medical services, renting a property or purchasing, setting up a business, foreign exchange, driving in Spain as well as getting your personal finances in order. 

That’s why we recommend ELYS Relocations to walk you through the process with calm and ease. Because why should the moving process be more difficult than it needs to be? 


Important Things to Consider

When moving to Spain, there are different processes that depend on the type of nationality you have. If you are a citizen of the European Union, belong to the European Economic Union, belong to the Schengen area or have family in Europe, the process will be easier.

But, if you do not have any of these nationalities or any of the conditions described above, don’t worry! ELYS Relocations is here to help. Before travelling to Spain, it’s important to  check:

  • What nationality you have. 
  • Types of visas and permits to reside in Spain.
  • The requirements for residing in Spain.
  • What you should do if you want to extend your stay.


Moving to Spain with a European Passport

If you’re an EU citizen, you do not need to apply for any visas for Spain, because thanks to the agreements that exist between the countries, you only need to present your national identity card or European passport. 

With your national identity card, you are allowed to stay for up to three months in any EU country. After this time has expired, the authorities may ask you for your ID number and a certificate explaining your presence in the country:

  • For students: copy of your enrolment or registration for a course certifying that you are going to study in Spain, payment of medical insurance and certificate of funds for support.
  • For work: certificate of employment.
  • Self-employed: certificate stating this condition.
  • Pensioner: health certificate and certificate of income for support.

After presenting yourself and obtaining the permit, do not forget that the issuance of the residence certificate is immediate, its validity is indefinite and you will have to update it in case you move from one of the cities in Spain to another.

If You Plan on Staying in Spain for Over 5 Years: 

If you have been in Spain for more than five consecutive years, you’ll acquire permanent residence status. 

The following situations do not affect residency:

  • Absences of less than six months.
  • If you have to return to your home country to do your military service.
  • If you are going to leave the country because of pregnancy, transfer of work, illness.

However, if you leave Spain for two or more consecutive years, you may lose the right of permanent residence.


Getting Permanent Residence Before the Five Year Period

It’s possible to have the right of permanent residence before the five years, but you must meet one of the following conditions:

  • If you’ve worked for three consecutive years in Spain and you go occasionally to work in another EU country.
  • If you suffer an incapacity for work while working in Spain.
  • If you have lived for two years in a row, but have stopped working in Spain because of some kind of incapacity.


Moving to Spain Without a European Passport

If you’re not an EU citizen, you need to meet a number of requirements to emigrate to Spain. Above all, consider the reason for your trip and how long you’ll be staying in the Iberian country before making your decision.

The next step is to choose which type of visa you’re eligible for. Although they may look similar, they are not applicable to all nationalities, nor do they have the same costs. Here is the general classification:


Types of Visas to Immigrate to Spain

Stay Visas:  In this category of visas for Spain are stay visas, which are generally requested for travelling in Spain, studying or volunteering. They are also classified into two categories:

  • Short-stay visas: three-month stay, maximum six months. With this visa, you can study a short-term course.
  • Long-term visas: maximum stay of one year, allows you to study and travel, but you can only work 20 hours a week.


Temporary Residence Visa: In this category are visas for residence in Spain that are requested mainly for work purposes. Here are the most popular types of Spanish visas:

  • Non-profit visa: you can stay for three months in the country as a resident. During this time you can study, but not work.
  • Residence visa for employed persons: you must be over 16 years of age. It allows you to stay for more than three months and less than five years. To be eligible, you must have a previous contract with a Spanish company.
  • Self-employed residence visa: you must be over 18 years old. It allows you to stay for more than three months and less than five years. Your income comes from a commercial activity that you carry out on your own account.

How to Obtain a Student Visa in Spain: 

  • Have a valid passport: When you apply to emigrate to Spain, you must have your passport. It must be valid at the time of application and remain valid for as long as you are going to reside in the country.
  • Applying for one of the types of visa for Spain: If you’re are not going to stay more than 90 days in Spain, a tourist visa will be ideal for you, as it allows you to travel and study at the same time. 

However, if you are going to stay longer, a short-stay visa is what you need, as it will allow you to study and live in Spain for three to six months. 

If you are studying or working for more than six months, you should apply for a long-stay visa. Remember that you must apply for a Foreigner’s Identity Number (N.I.E.) if your stay is for three months. And, if it is for more than six months, the Foreigner’s Identity Card (T.I.E).

  • Have a criminal record certificate and a medical certificate: The non-criminal record certificate is a requirement in all countries, as the aim is to prove that you are a good citizen and that you will not compromise the safety of other citizens.  
  • Have international health insurance: In every country you travel to, you will be required to have international health insurance. This way, they will be able to guarantee your access to any medical service, whether it is a medical consultation, access to medicines or hospitalisation.
  • Have Proof of Visit: To emigrate to Spain, you will be asked to provide proof of the reason for your trip. As with European citizens, this should be a course enrolment, a letter of invitation from a resident (friend or relative), an employment contract or a certificate of voluntary work.
  • Provide a certificate of financial means: You must provide proof of income before applying for a visa to Spain. This will let the government know that you can support yourself for the duration of your stay and that you can afford to buy tickets home.
  • Present a certificate of accommodation: To move to Spain it’s important that you show that you have a place to stay. You can certify this by means of a rental contract, a hotel reservation that lasts at least two weeks, and a certificate of employment or studies that matches the address of the accommodation.


In addition to these requirements, you must fill out the type 2 visa form correctly, have two passport-style photos with a white background and proof of payment of the consular fee.

We hope that this post has helped you figure out what you need to get together in order to begin the process of moving. Don’t hesitate to contact ELYS Relocations if you have any doubts, as they can appoint a team member to assist you if you get stuck at any of the points mentioned here. 

Elys Relocations is there to guide you through the whole process, whether you’re in need of logistic, financial, or even holistic assistance. 



Phone number: +33 637155404




Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: . You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Latest Articles

Related Articles